Social Media is a fundamental shift in the way we all communicate. It is not a fad, yet many artists and galleries are still intimidated and puzzled at the idea of joining in on the Social Media Revolution. Learn these 5 ways to harness the power of Social Media and improve your art marketing.
1. Build Your Brand:
What is branding? The American Marketing Association (AMA) defines a brand as: "A name, term, sign, symbol or design, or a combination of them intended to identify the goods and services of one seller of group of sellers and the differentiate them from those other sellers. "
- Social Media is the quickest way to build brand identity for you and your art business.
- Solid brand identity differentiates you from the pack.
- A strong brand is invaluable and serves to communicate credibility to your prospective customers and collectors.
- Use Twitter, Facebook and YouTube for building your brand by posting images of your art, tutorials and recent blog posts.
- Your are not alone! Being an artist is a solitary occupation, but with social networking.
- Reach beyond your niche art market and attract new customers.
- Get instant feedback or a critique on your latest painting or blog post.
- Learn from other artists and business leaders.
- Gain inspiration from others.
- Become more business savvy.
- Facebook is a great way to make 'real connections' within my art niche marketplace. Twitter quickly and easily reaches beyond the art niche. I have sold my art using Twitter.
3. Keep Your Finger on the Pulse:
- Artists are the movers and shakers of the world and need to stay informed.
- Artists should follow new trends in design, decorating, fashion and technology and how it influences your art and sales.
- In this challenging economy, being a successful artist not only consists of creating great art, but also creating a strong business.
- If you don't have a website you are invisible. A website is a must, a blog even better.
- It's time for artists to "Think Outside the Frame" about art marketing!
- SM is already changing the rules of the marketplace.
- Use YouTube to share videos of your latest art tutorial or artwork. This builds brand recognition and drives traffic to your website or blog.YouTube is the # 2 largest search engine in the world after Google!
5. Don't be a Dinosaur:
- Artists and galleries must evolve to stay competitive.It is clear that those artists and galleries who do not join in will most likely go the way of print media.
- Now is the time of natural selection and survival of the fittest.
- Jump in even if you don't yet understand it!
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not
necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Irishartist.ie